Matakana Coast – Things to See and Do
Your basket of fun from Mahurangi West is just about boundless and everything is within easy walking or driving distance. Mahurangi West Wing is close to Orewa, Puhoi, Warkworth and the Matakana Coast which offer fabulous scenery, boutique wineries, fine dining, farmers’ markets, shopping, cafes, art, culture and loads of fun!
“For me, true luxury can be caviar or a day with no meetings, no appointments and no schedule.” Michael Kors
Local attractions and things to do:
Mahurangi West Park:
Mahurangi Regional Park, hiking and walking trails, fishing, swimming, kayaking, picnicking or just sitting, gazing or snoozing.
Great Walking Ideas:
These sites give a good overview and detailed directions of some of the lovely, and easy, walks you can do from our house.
Puhoi – historic Bohemian village, iconic pub, museum and church. Puhoi is a settlement located approximately 3km south of Mahurangi West Road on the banks of the Puhoi River. The name Puhoi is translated as “slow water”. Enjoy the historical walks in this small community. Go kayaking up Puhoi River or stop for lunch at the renowned café and cheese store or the lively pub.
- Puhoi Markets – last Sunday of every month – http://www.puhoinz.com/see-do/shopping/farmers-market
- Puhoi River Canoe Hire – Kayaking Puhoi River to Wenderholm Regional Park – http://www.puhoirivercanoes.co.nz
Orewa is famous for its beautiful beach – 3km of golden sand that all kids enjoy. Orewa Beach is the gateway to the Hibiscus Coast and north Auckland’s abundant regional escapes, and only 20 minutes north of Auckland’s harbour bridge
- Orewa Market – Sunday Mornings – http://www.marketground.co.nz/fmnzorewa
- Cycling in Orewa: Cycle the Te Ara Tahuna – a 7.5km walkway / cycleway around the Orewa Estuary. For more information https://at.govt.nz/cycling-walking/auckland-cycle-run-walkway-maps/te-ara-tahuna-estuary-cycle-and-walkway/ For bike hire see BIKEME Tridem, tandem, mountain, road and many more styles of bikes.
- Stand Up Paddle Boarding – Orewa is perfect for SUP and Kiteboarding.
Poised at the edge of the Mahurangi River, Warkworth is a pretty town with an interesting choice of restaurants and accommodation.
- Warkworth Museum and Kauri Park: http://www.wwmuseum.orconhosting.net.nz/
- SheepWorld Fram and Nature Park: http://www.sheepworldfarm.co.nz/
Matakana is a small town about 9 km from Warkworth, Snells Beach is about the same distance to the south, Omaha is about 7 km to the east, and Leigh is about 13 km to the north-east. Matakana is home to over 30 boutique vineyards, olive groves, restaurants and the famous Matakana Village and Farmers’ Market featuring locally grown food and produce.
- Matakana Cinemas: http://www.matakanacinemas.co.nz/
- Matakana Country Park, Stables restaurant, crafts and art gallery: http://www.matakanacountrypark.co.nz/
- Matakana Farmers Market, every Saturday: http://www.matakanainfo.org.nz/Markets.html
- Matakana Village, boutique shops, cinema and restaurants: http://www.visitmatakana.co.nz/
- Morris & James Pottery & Café: http://www.morrisandjames.co.nz/
Tawharanui Regional Park, Kiwi sanctuary:
Set on a remote peninsula, Tawharanui Regional Park has surf beaches, beautiful white sand beaches, rolling pastures, shingled bays, native coastal forest and regenerating wetlands.
- Brick Bay Sculpture Trail, art and wine entwined http://www.brickbay.co.nz/Sculpture-Trail.aspx
- Ferry from Sandspit to Kawau Island, historic Mansion House walks and café http://www.kawauisland.org.nz/general-kawau-information
- Scandrett Regional Park and Scott’s Landing Homestead http://regionalparks.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/scandrett
- Goat Island marine reserve, snorkelling and scuba diving http://www.discovergoatisland.co.nz/reserve.html
Lovely white sand ocean beach
Whangaparaoa, a town on the Peninsula of the same name, is about 16kms from Mahurangi West and is known for its long golden beaches, stunning regional park and world-class golf course.
- Catch the ferry to Tiritiri Matangi bird & wildlife sanctuary, see the rare Takahe http://www.tiritirimatangi.org.nz/
- Shakespear Regional Park http://regionalparks.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/shakespeare
- Snow Planet – Indoor Snow Resort Snow Planet