Things To Do
Matakana Coast – Things to See and Do
Your options for fun when you’re staying at Mahurangi West are just almost boundless and everything is within easy walking or driving distance.
Mahurangi West Wing is close to Orewa, Puhoi, Warkworth and the Matakana Coast which offer fabulous scenery, boutique wineries, fine dining, farmers’ markets, shopping, cafes, art, culture and loads of fun!
Mahurangi West Park:
Mahurangi Regional Park, hiking and walking trails, fishing, swimming, kayaking, picnicking or just sitting, gazing or snoozing.
Great Walking Ideas:
Theses sites give a good overview and detailed directions of some of the lovely, and easy, walks you can do from our house.
Mahurangi Harbour from the north
Puhoi – historic Bohemian village, iconic pub, museum and church. Puhoi is a settlement located approximately 3km south of Mahurangi West Road on the banks of the Puhoi River. The name Puhoi is translated as “slow water”. Enjoy the historical walks in this small community. Go kayaking up Puhoi River or stop for lunch at the renowned café and cheese store or the lively pub.
Orewa is famous for its beautiful beach – 3km of golden sand that all kids enjoy. Orewa Beach is the gateway to the Hibiscus Coast and north Auckland’s abundant regional escapes, and only 20 minutes north of Auckland’s harbour bridge
- Orewa Market – Sunday Mornings – https://www.facebook.com/orewabeachfarmersmarket/
- Cycling in Orewa: Cycle the Te Ara Tahuna – a 7.5km walkway / cycleway around the Orewa Estuary. For more information https://at.govt.nz/media/1981159/orewa-estuary-ride.pdf For bike hire see BIKEME for scooters, tandem, mountain, road, e-bikes and many more styles of bikes.
- Stand Up Paddle Boarding – Orewa is perfect for SUP and Kiteboarding.
Matakana is a small town about 9 km from Warkworth and home to over 30 boutique vineyards, olive groves, restaurants and the famous Matakana Village and Farmers’ Market featuring locally grown food and produce.
- Exploring: https://www.mahurangiwest.co.nz/matakana/matakana-coast/
- Matakana Cinemas: http://www.matakanacinemas.co.nz/
- Matakana Country Park, Stables restaurant, crafts and art gallery: http://www.matakanacountrypark.co.nz/
- Matakana Farmers Market, every Saturday: https://www.matakanavillage.co.nz/market
- Matakana Village, boutique shops, cinema and restaurants: https://www.matakanavillage.co.nz/
- Morris & James Pottery & Café: http://www.morrisandjames.co.nz/
Leigh and Pakiri
Home to the world famous Leigh Sawmill bar and music venue and Goat Island marine sanctury snorkelling, we highly reccomend a vist.
- The 14 kilometre-long stunning coastline of Pakiri makes for a truly idyllic place to escape from the crowds. https://www.leighbythesea.co.nz/leigh-escape/pakiri-beach/
- Listed in the 100 things to do before you die book – it’s simply magic: https://www.horseride-nz.co.nz/
Leigh By The Sea
Tawharanui Peninsula is an open sanctuary and marine reserve full of incredible wildlife and plant life. The Tawharanui Ridge Walk is a very easy 10k round trip with board walks, beach walking and lots of lovely green farmland and great views along the way.